The other one was a mushroom and capsicum pie with Indian spices that we had for dinner. It was good. I thought I would put the recipe up for the savory one today, then maybe I will put the recipe up for the sweet one after we eat it and I know if it is nice or not.
Spiced Mushroom and Capsicum Pie
- 1 recipe pie crust (either buy, or make with one of these recipes). If making your own, pie crust should be refrigerated for at least 30 minutes before making the recipe.
- olive oil for frying
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried ground cardamom
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 or 5 small mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 a large red capsicum, chopped into small squares
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 tbsp tapioca or cornflour
- Line pie dish with one half of the pie crust and blind bake for about 15 minutes on 200 C. When done leave out to cool.
- Put a small amount of olive oil in a pan and heat. Fry the coriander and cumin seeds lightly for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the other spices, garlic and onion and fry until fragrant.
- Add the mushroom, capsicum, tomato and paste and water and stir till it is all mixed through.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle in the tapioca. Stir it through and cook for another few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Put the sauce into the prepared pie crust and put the second portion of crust over the top. Join the top to the bottom crust and cut a slit in the top of the pie so steam can escape.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 200 C or until pie is golden brown on the top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes before eating.