Tuesday 17 July 2012

Cinnamon and pear essence pancakes

To make these pancakes I use:
  • 1 cup self raising flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • tiny sprinkle nutmeg
  • 1 large splash pear essence
  • approx. 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste.
  •  you can also put in a bit of baking powder extra if you want them super fluffy.
  • Butter, for cooking
Just mix them all together until all the ingredients are well mixed and there are no lumps. A whisk is useful, I've also had success with a blender (brute force method!) My mum tells me leaving the mixture in the fridge overnight makes for great pancakes, but I have never tried this.

To cook the pancakes:
  • Heat up butter in the pan on a medium-high heat,
  • Put a ladle full of the batter into the hot pan and wait until bubbles form on the surface. 
  • Flip and cook until browned on the other side. 
  • I like to keep the cooked pancakes in the oven (on the lowest setting) so they are all warm when you eat them.

For the topping, you need:
  • Maple syrup (the real stuff, not imitation), 
  • Greek natural yoghurt (I like Black Swan brand), and 
  • Fresh or frozen seasonal berries. If you use frozen berries make sure you get them out to thaw before you start cooking the pancakes so they aren't too cold when you eat them.

I think the best way to do the topping is to:
  •  Stack the pancakes with maple syrup in between each layer. 
  • Sprinkle the berries over the top and put a blob of the yoghurt on top. 
  • Then drizzle some more maple syrup over the top.

Nom nom nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment